Sunday, April 4, 2010

The things we do

The things I  have to do to get wildlife photos for you guys.  no its not a buffalo cow pat its a whole area of cow dung. this is the mud flats opposite the dollar hotels on the West Bank of Luxor the first photo  besides the one of my shoeless feet. shows you where I am. I saw a rare migrant bird heading in this direction so I followed it into the wetlands. and so pleased I was there was so many birds in this area  most I have seen and photographed before but not with my new lens,  I saw  and photographed 3  more species to add to my collection of Nile Birds. bringing the total to date to 67 and that is only here in the Luxor and outlying area of 40 kilometers  the black-winged stilts being the furthest. I saw those last week , plus another in flight flock today. as I show the photos I will give the link to that species for more photos.



Water pipit quite a few sightings today and better photos than the first sighting.





Posted 
by Picasa
Temminck's Stint, Calidris temminckii.



Posted 
by PicasaLittle White Egret with its lunch


Spur-winged plover


Grey Heron






Posted 
by Picasa
Collared pratincole, Glareola pratincola




Water pipit,  Anthus spinoletta.

At first sight I thought they where Larks once i put the photo on the computer  and looked in the book they are my first sightings of the pipit. I will have to go back to the area I saw them tomorrow to get better shots.




Posted 
by Picasa


Posted 
by Picasa
Female yellow wagtail

'
Male yellow wagtail
.
night heron in flight

.
1 white egret, 2 squacco herons,   3 night herons  +  the rubbish that is littering the whole of the Nile valley.

below a different angle on the 3 night herons.

Posted 
by Picasa
pied kingfisher on the hunt

Little white egret

Squacco heron   all todays birds where on the west bank of Luxor on my walk along the Nile river













5 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Well I for one sure can appreciate your effort Tony!! I wonder how many times my feet and lags have looked like your?

I have never seen a Collared pratincole before and it is a lovely bird. It is one we do not have here. great shots of it.

Mary said...

wow...these are great! I'm with Joan...thanks for working so hard for these fabulous photos!

Mary said...

I'm glad you told me there was more. The action shots are great. Those two egrets...wow! That new lens you have really gets great shots....action and close-ups both.

Arti said...

Hi Tony
the pics are great..They leave me speechless!!loved the night heron in flight..

www.myyatradiary.blogspot.com

Kerry said...

Many thanks for your comment on my blog. I am off to bed now but will check out your blog tomorrow. I just wanted to let you know that you link to the egypt wildlife under your blogs section won't actually let you connect to the blog: you are immediately redirected away from the blog to a chinese TV site - I think it might be something to do with a gadget you have on the site?

All the best
Kerry